About Me

22. Tucson. University of Arizona 2014 graduate. I like to read, write, and obsess over television shows and music, which you'll find a bit of here.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Recipe: Chicken Enchiladas Verdes



This ended up turning out so well I had to write up a quick post for it. I got this recipe from a bargain book I recently picked up from work at Barnes & Noble. It's called "Real Simple: Easy, Delicious Home Cooking" and it's such a handy little cookbook. It even has the calories for each recipe at the back of the book! (If made to the recipe, this one had 969 calories per serving).

Now I did change this up a little bit - the recipe also calls for corn and I didn't use as much cheese as it called for (I just sprinkled a bit on top instead of incorporating it into the enchilada mixture) and you can definitely change it yourself if you wanted to try it out. (Perhaps using beef or pork instead of chicken!)

This is how you make these delicious babies:


  1. Cook the chicken (I used chicken breast) in a saucepan with enough water to cover it. Cook all the way through and transfer to a plate or bowl and let cool for a bit. When it's cool enough to handle, shred it. 
  2. Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F. 
  3. In a blender, puree a bottle of salsa verde, fresh cilantro and half a cup of sour cream until it is smooth. Put in a saucepan and simmer until slightly thickened (about 10-12 minutes). Then stir in another half cup of sour cream. 
  4. Add the sauce and chicken together (this is where you'd also put in the corn). Then put some of your sauce on the bottom your baking dish. Put together your enchiladas - adding the chicken mixture to the tortillas and setting them seam side down on the pan. After you've filled the pan, put the remaining sauce you have on top of our enchiladas. 
  5. Put in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, until bubbling and beginning to brown. Right out of the oven I added sprinkled cheese to the top. 
  6. (And as you can see I also made some white rice out of a box - as a good seasoning you can add cumin, salt and pepper or even a bit of taco seasoning to add more of a spicy flavor). 
And there you go! It was really simple and so good. I don't know about anyone else, but I just adore the smell of cilantro. (When I was cutting it up the kitchen smelled amazing!) It's so fresh and slightly spicy to smell and the taste is very strong in this recipe - I loved it. 




I'm not the best person to judge spice level, because I do have a pretty high tolerance, but this is definitely on the more mild side. Flavorful and with a tiny bite to it perhaps, but if you're not that into spicy things this would be okay for you. I was even thinking you could mix the cilantro and sour cream with a different sauce to suit your tastes. 

If you try out this recipe - or change it up in anyway - I'd love to see it! I was thinking about adding a tag (though I don't think nearly enough people read my post to consequent doing this) - but if you do end up making this and posting a photo on instagram, tag it with #chatterboxrose and I'd love to see it!

Until next time, 

Rose 

No comments:

Post a Comment