About Me

22. Tucson. University of Arizona 2014 graduate. I like to read, write, and obsess over television shows and music, which you'll find a bit of here.

Friday, January 1, 2016

24 Book Reading Challenge: THE END!


My first blog post of 2016 is also the last of the 24 Book Reading Challenge - and no, I didn't finished every single book by the new year, like my goal. I did, however, make a dent that I'm very happy with. I finished 11 out of 24 in about three months, while I was working at my full time job and dealing with all the other things in my life during that time, so I'm calling that a good accomplishment. So even though this challenge is coming to a close technically incomplete, I'm happy!

In the new year, my goal is to read at least 2 books a month, and boy do i already have such a wish list, including the books I own but haven't read yet. I also want to continue writing book reviews here. It's a fun way to talk about a book once I've finished with it and maybe give anyone reading these a recommendation.

So, onto the last five books I read from this challenge!

3. A book about someone you admire

Binge by Tyler Oakley

I was lucky enough to go to Tyler's book signing/meet and greet when he was in Arizona in October, which was so amazing. I had a wonderful time with my friends and Tyler was hilarious (and so short!)

His book was everything you've probably heard about - very shocking and very scandalous! I liked Tyler's writing voice. It was similar in many ways to his YouTube videos, but different as well. I think he really found his own tone while writing. One day I want to listen to the audiobook - hearing his stories with his own actual voice would be great!






Also bonus: my photo with Tyler (he called me queen when he saw the boas).












4. Any novel NOT by James Patterson

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

This one was a little weird. By weird, I mean the sense of time and setting was really all over place near the beginning. I'd say the first third at least. It's told in first person and the main character is retelling her life story to a third party and in the way stories are told, it sort of goes from anecdote to anecdote jumping over several decades. As it goes on, it begins to settle more into one time period - the present - and makes a lot more sense. In the end I did like it. It was entertaining at the very least and had some solid characters.


9. A book inspired by a true story

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

Very detailed and factual, but an amazing story. Some details are so awful to read about and hard to believe that people went through this during the war. I always enjoy reading up on history, especially this time period. WWII is such a fascinating time and there are so many points of view to look at it. This one is from the perspective, in a way, of an Olympic runner turned solider. Now I can't wait to watch the film that was made based on the book!














13. Read a Mystery

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

This was my first Christie novel and I really enjoyed it. It was a bit to settle into the older way of storytelling, but it really hooked me from the start. My mind kept going over the whole thing, trying to figure out the mystery and "who done it." I wasn't disappointed at the surprising twist ending. Most mysteries or plot twists you can sort of see coming or guess, but not with this. I really want to read it again and see if I can pull out the clues now that I know the end. It was also spooky, which was the vibe I was hoping for!

16. Read a Scary Novel

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Now instead of going with my original plan and reading my first Stephen King novel, I came across this book at work and checked it out because the YouTuber Frannerd had mentioned it before. It's a graphic novel and filled with a handful of short horror stories that are completely illustrated. And god, is it creepy. I never actually read this at home at night - only at work during my lunch break!













Every story has chilling moments where you feel the need to look over your shoulder because you get that feeling, if you know what I mean. It was beautifully detailed and the illustrations were just fantastic. The stories, as I said, were chilling and I don't know how people can come up with these sort of ideas. I'm definitely not ever going to be a horror writer - I value my sleep too much.

If you can, get a hold of this. I might actually want to purchase it so I can keep looking at the illustrations. You get so much from the drawings. Sometimes there aren't any words on a page or two and the picture tells you the whole story.


And there we are - the end! If you were following along with this challenge, I hope you read a lot of amazing books that you might have never picked up otherwise. I can tell you I would have never thought to read a western or an Agatha Christie novel without this prompt. It was exciting and I hope to do something like this again one day!

Happy new year!

Rose



No comments:

Post a Comment