About Me

22. Tucson. University of Arizona 2014 graduate. I like to read, write, and obsess over television shows and music, which you'll find a bit of here.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Scott Westerfeld Book Signing


On Monday the 20th I drove down to Tempe to attend Scott Westerfeld's book signing at the Changing Hand bookstore. I was so excited to go, as the last time (and very first time I met Mr. Westerfeld!) was at the very same bookshop around 3 years ago when he came into town.



If you don't know his books, Scott Westerfeld wrote the "Uglies" series, as well as The Midnighters, Peeps, So Yesterday - the list goes on. I've been reading his books since I was a freshman in high school. So nearly nine years now. Besides the fact that his books are inventive, well written, and just all around interesting reads - the guy is hilarious. He honestly could have been a comedian. Both times I've attended his signing he has a small thirty minute talk and the crowd laughs at so many things he says. He's even quick on his feet in the Q&A sessions.

His new book now is called "Afterworlds" and I'm so excited to start reading it. It's made of two different novels. One involves Darcy, who is writing the novel that contains Lizzie in it. He read a part of Lizzie's story and it just sounds so exciting. I'll definitely be sure to write up a book review here! (Which incidentally, was a topic Mr. Westerfeld addressed).












As always, I probably made a fool of myself - I tend to do that when I meet the people I admire - but it's all good. I know I always over think the meeting and even if you know what you want to say, when you're standing in front of the person you admire it's so hard to come up with anything intelligent to say. I was the first person to ask a question (a really stupid one!) and ended up getting a small "Afterworlds" notebook as a prize (and he signed it later on).


My birthday was the next day, so I mentioned it when it came to the actual signing so he could write it in the book. I thought it would be such a nice little memory to have! Also: how weird is it that all my signed books of his are dated in the month of October? 


It's been my dream to be a writer since I was in 6th grade. To publish and engage readers with what I've written and Scott Westerfeld is definitely in the top five list of authors that continue to inspire me to want to pursue writing as a career one day. I only hope I can achieve even a fraction of what he has!


I was also happy to be able to spend some time with Deanna when I was in Tempe, who attended the signing with me. I love her to bits and wish we could see each other more. You'd think having an "internet friend" that lives in the same state would be easier, but even so, it's not.


Finally, I have two clips from his Q&A below. He talks about a ton of things: answering questions about the Young Adult genre, as well as speculating on the future of it and taking a stab at his good friend John Green with a prediction that maybe in a few years there will be "well lit" where "kids don't have cancer....or are in comas" (looking at you "If I Stay").




Overall: such an amazing day (or really, a few hours) spent in Tempe. I also stopped at Ikea for the first time before the signing and have a haul post coming from that soon.

Until next time,

Rose


No comments:

Post a Comment